Re: Point-and-Click works!

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Point-and-Click works!
Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 18:31:47 +0200

Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> writes:

> Have you sourced lilypond-{login,profile} or set the
> environment variables correspondingly (matching the installation
> paths)?

Btw, we would not have had this problem, had lyd2vi -P just left the
generated fonts in the cwd, or any other sane place
/var/*/texmf/lilypond(-version)?

Here we have ly2dvi working right after installation, leaving a valid
.dvi file, but when you invoke xdvi, the fonts must be regenerated.
Which is not only a waste of resourses, but chances are, it doesn't
work.

How should we fix this?  We can have ly2dvi (optionally?) copy any
generated fonts to the cwd, along with the other output.  But two
separate lyd2vi runs will still regenerate all the fonts.

I've never been too happy with ly2dvi's usage of a temporary cwd
directory for generating of all stuff.  Otoh, just using the cwd is
potentially dangerous: old fonts or .tex include files may be lying
around and break the ly2dvi run.  Also, removing all the clutter
afterwards can be very difficult to do.

Jan.