Re: property setting

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: property setting
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 03:45:22 +0200

Han-Wen wrote:

first of all, I don't see the point, in this sense: the number of
people that will deviate from the default accidentals is so small that
it doesn't warrant drastic additions to the syntax/semantics. (perhaps
I said this earlier, and you replied, but I forgot your motivation.)

I didn't concider my suggestion a drastic addition :-)

It's not possible  taht the context is  not found;  \property Foo.bar=
#bla really means

     \context Foo [assign property in current context]

Eh, so what you are telling me is that if I say i.e.

\context Voice = foo {
        c d
        \property Staff.Bar \override #'baz = #'jazz
        e f
}

then "e f" will not occur in voice "foo"???

Secondly, what do you want

          \score {
                 <
                        { \clef bass c'4 }
                        {  c'4 }

        }

to do ? Your suggestion would make bass clefs in both scores.

Well, yes, you are right. But if one would instantiate the staff:

          \score {
                 <
\property Staff = sa { \clef bass c'4 } \property Staff = sb { c'4 }

then one would only get bass clef in the top staff.
But okay, I get your point - it will not be a good idea that \property Staff.blabla might change some property on i.e. Score level.

Well. Will it be okay that I add the aliasses to the contexts?
No syntax changes, just some \aliasses in engraver-init.ly

I think that the current behavior is just as bad as your suggestion. I
would prefer that the kind of advanced behavior you want be done with
an advanced feature such as evaluating Scheme code. I even recall
posting a suggestion on how to implement such a feature.

Oh, yes, thanks for reminding me about that.
Your suggestion was a new command, \applycontext, that makes it possible to read context properties in the expression that sets them. The motivation was the ottava-command that needs to read the current central-c-position.
Afaics this has nothing to do with this current issue, however.
- Your scheme function makes it easier to decide the value to assign.
My problem is how to find the right context in which to do the assign.

-Rune