Re: new font scheme

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: new font scheme
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 11:56:13 +0200

Rune Zedeler <address@hidden> writes:

> I still don't get the outlines of the new font scheme

Basically, it's an (imo) sucessful effort to take all pain away from
font issues.  With the current setup, only TEXMF should be set, and
that only if you want to run tex by hand (guru only).

In addition, it is now possible to run lilypond from the build
directory, without setting symlinks.

Forget about (and/or make sure to unset, if necessary, TEXINPUTS,
MFINPUTS, TFMFONTS).

> Documentation/misc/fontinstallation is outdated so no help there - and

That's not excactly right.  The only thing outdated about that file is
the fact that this

    typically /usr/local/share/lilypond/ or /usr/share/lilypond/.

should read

    typically /usr/local/share/lilypond/<VERSION> or
    /usr/share/lilypond/<VERSION>

> What do you other guys do, and where is the new fontsystem documented?

What I do, is configure lily like this:

    ./configure --disable-optimising --prefix=`pwd`

If you do that, ./scripts/out/ly2dvi runs without setting anything,
./lily/out/lilypond will too.  No need to set LILYPONDPREFIX, or
TEXMF.

When I feel the need to run (LilyPond and) TeX by hand, I source my
'here-lily' script, that has become a lot simpler with this new setup.

I haven't used symlinks to run Lily for years, as it breaks running
different versions in an easy way.

Greetings,
Jan.

~/bin/here-lily:
#!/bin/bash

# fool-proof tex vars
TEXINPUTS=:
MFINPUTS=:
TFMFONTS=:
TEXMF=/usr/share/texmf

# ugh, broken default debian teTeX setup
export pool_size=250000
export extra_mem_bottom=1000000
export extra_mem_top=1000000

ulimit -s unlimited

. ./VERSION
FULL_VERSION=$MAJOR_VERSION.$MINOR_VERSION.$PATCH_LEVEL
if [ -n "$MY_PATCH_LEVEL" ]; then
    FULL_VERSION=$FULL_VERSION.$MY_PATCH_LEVEL
fi

datadir=$(pwd)/share/lilypond/$FULL_VERSION
# export LILYPONDPREFIX=$datadir
unset LILYPONDPREFIX
TEXMF="{$datadir,"`kpsexpand  \\$TEXMF`"}"

export PATH=$(pwd)/lily/out:$(pwd)/scripts/out:$PATH