Alternative to linewidth=-1

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Alternative to linewidth=-1
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 00:57:31 +0200

I concider the linewidth=-1 option to be ugly.
I would like this option instead:

--- Don't try to fill a whole number of systems - but accept that the piece can end with an unfinished (shorter) system. ---

Reasons:
-Would be perfect for editing:
  -Would be a lot faster - spacing would be O(n) instead of
   O(n*idontknowwhatitisnowbutveryslow).
  -Would be closer to linewidth=-1 - and hence the music would be easier
   read (for debugging purposes).
-I have actually seen this in printed scores.
-Would make a nice substitute for linewidth=-1. - No ugly overflown lines whenever the small examples grow big.

In this mode, ofcourse, linebreaks should behave in the same way; - when a line break occurs the user must accept a not totally filled line. I.e. the same spacing as what you get in texts.

Perhaps this approach could be improved to let the following scores start right of the previous one instead of on the next line - so that one could get:

This notation is often used for codas in modern music.

-Rune