splitted rests

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: splitted rests
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 07:59:27 +0200 (CEST)

Here another problem which sometimes happens.  Consider a 5/4 bar
which contains a lot of 16ths and which must be broken across staves
(into 2 and 3 beats).  Usually, I insert an invisible bar and I'm
done.  But what happens with rests?  If I say `R4*5', I currently get
a full rest before and after the break.  I think this is not correct.
What I want is something like this:

  \ifbreak { r2 r2. }
  \else { R4*5 }

This is probably already available in Scheme -- can you give an
example?

Perhaps this can be solved with my proposed extension for spanners
(before-broken, broken-1, ..., broken-n, after-broken).

    Werner