improving lilypond's typesetting capabilities

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: improving lilypond's typesetting capabilities
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 00:15:14 +0200 (CEST)

Han-wen asked me which printed pieces for piano are short, freely
available, and provide good typography.

Here in Taiwan I have an edition of Chopin's waltzes (Edition Peters
No. 1804; the editor was Herrmann Scholtz).  This looks fine for me,
and the pieces are relatively short.

Another useful example is the Durand edition of Debussy's preludes.  I
don't like Durand's typesetting rules, but it exhibits many features
which modern piano music needs (and French users surely want French
typesetting rules).

Something on the extreme side are Liszt's Etudes transcendante -- if
LilyPond can handle this, it can handle everything for piano -- but
those pieces aren't short.

    Werner