Re: lilypond-book error

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Re: lilypond-book error
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 20:49:19 +0200 (CEST)

On 30 Aug 2002, Laura Conrad wrote:

>     Laura> The attached file looks fine if I run ly2dvi on it, but when I
> include
>     Laura> it in a file to run lilypond-book on, I get:
>
>     Laura> Traceback (most recent call last):
>     Laura>   File "/usr/local/bin/lilypond-book", line 1424, in ?
>     Laura>     do_file(input_filename)
>     Laura>   File "/usr/local/bin/lilypond-book", line 1310, in do_file
>     Laura>     chunks = chop_chunks(chunks, 'lilypond-block',
> make_lilypond_block, 1)
>     Laura>   File "/usr/local/bin/lilypond-book", line 842, in chop_chunks
>     Laura>     m = get_re (re_name).search (str)
>     Laura> RuntimeError: maximum recursion limit exceeded
>     Laura> make: *** [book.dvi] Error 1
>

>     Laura> This is with 1.5.73, as I don't seem to be able to build from CVS
> at
>     Laura> the moment.
>
> It happens both with 1.6 and with 1.4.12.  I also have another
> lilypond file that causes the same behavior.  I really need both of
> these to go into the book.  Does anyone know a workaround?  the
> re_name that's causing it to happen is lilypond-block

Currently, I get the same error while building the documentation when the
file parmesan16list.ly is processed.  By playing around a little, I found
that it is probably not the contents of the file, but rather its length
that makes lilypond-book crashing: if I remove roughly 30 lines from the
file (regardless which lines, as long as the syntax keeps ok), the error
disappears.  Sounds like a bug in the implementation of the search
function.  Maybe this function is (stupidly) implemented recursively over
the length of the search text?  That probably would explain the
overflow...

Greetings,
Juergen