Re: Landscape paper

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Landscape paper
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 23:58:22 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> user has to set it as a paper variable since the paper variable
> (which is set to a4 by default) overrides the global variable.
> The current handling of papersize is a real cludge, in my
> opinion.

I agree, but may be we should solve paper sizes in a more general,
robust way than swapping hsize and vsize? I confess that I'm not that
familiar with all the ways that people use \paper settings. The kludgy
thing is probably that you really  want to have something like

      if orientation = "landscape" then:
         ..swap hsize and vsize..

and that really don't want to add if/then to the input format. IMO the
real solution, is to merge the lilypond identifier mechanism with
GUILE modules, so that we can write the above as a scheme rule, i.e.

      \paper {

             orientation = "landscape"
             #(if (eq? orientation "landscape")
                  (swap! 'hsize 'vsize))
      }

All the more reason to look into the GUILE module mechanics
again. (Bad news: it probably won't be compatible with GUILE 1.4).

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   address@hidden   |   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen