Re: hsize and vsize

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: hsize and vsize
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 21:35:07 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

> Any reason why `hsize' and `vsize' are defined in lilypond's init
> files?  They are completely useless.

Yes, most probably.

> I even go one step further: Noone needs paper init files like
> `a4-init.ly'.  Currently, lilypond needs a single paper dimension,
> namely `linewidth'.  In the future, it will probably need
> `textheight' also to find proper page breaks.

All variables defined in the paper block find their way into the .tex
output.  I think the idea was to control all page layout
(esp. 'textheight') through the paper block; ie in the current
situation: have ly2dvi do something useful with some of those
settings.

Having said that, any old or non-functional cruft should be removed
ruthlessly, so please go forward.

> What do you think about getting rid of this old stuff, creating a
> `lilyrc' file (and a user-specific `.lilyrc') which contains a proper
>
>   linewidth = ...
>
> entry (to be overridden in a .ly file)?

So that distributions can set the preferred papersize for lilypond
too?  That seems to make some sense.  It would be nice if including
the lilyrc's would be handled by lilypond's include mechanism, being
just another init.ly file.

Jan.