Lilypond and alternative music notations

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Lilypond and alternative music notations
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:29:16 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> I wonder how easy it would be to alter Lilypond to
> display in alternative notations?  (would require 4
> line staffs, or 2 line staffs and triangle shaped note
> heads... - see MNMA link below for what they would
> look like.)

> Also, since Lilypond is tailored for high quality
> output, would this make modifying it in this way more
> difficult?  Since we aren't in the high quality
> business (yet, anyway)

I do not see much problems in adding this functionality.  However, the
results would look clunky unless special care was taken to design
typographically good shapes for the note-heads.  If you have a
programmer, we can help him/her to get it working.

Alternatively, you may hire me or Jan to implement this, which has the
added benefit that the functionality will surely be integrated into
the mainline distribution. If you're interested, then write to me
privately for more details.

> We'd also like to have the final vsn as user friendly
> as possible...  and having to convert from MusicXML to
> Lily and then display, it might not be the best option
> in this sense...

I don't think this is much of a problem. There are lily-producing
programs that are very user-friendly, eg. NoteEdit.