Re: Custos problems

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Re: Custos problems
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 02:08:58 +0200 (CEST)

Sorry for replying so late!  I was (and actually still am) on vacation.

On 10 Aug 2003, Laura Conrad wrote:

>     Laura> I'm still using 1.7.29, not having upgraded to 1.8 yet.
>
> Most of this went away when I did get 1.8.

Your custos problem actually was a font metrics lookup problem that was
introduced in 1.7.29, but fixed only two days later for 1.7.30.

>     Laura> convert-ly doesn't seem to be converting my 1.6 custos, which was:
>
> This doesn't matter, since the old version seems to work ok.

Both is syntactically correct (as with all grob properties): you can
manipulate grob properties either globally in the paper block, e.g. by

  \translator {
    \StaffContext
    Custos \override #'style = #'mensural
  }

or locally in the \notes section, e.g. by

  \property Staff.Custos \override #'style = #'mensural

(maybe the tutorial/refman should more clearly explain the scope
of as well as the different ways to manipulate grob properties?  The
section "tuning objects" in the reference manual only mentions the local
variant -- Jan/Han-Wen?)

Since usually the style of the custos will not change within a single
piece, you probably will prefer to set it globally, i.e. once in the paper
block for all staves rather than individually for each staff.  Still, both
ways are valid.

>     Laura> The documentation points to a input/test/custos-style.ly, which
>     Laura> doesn't seem to exist,
>
> Still true, in this morning's CVS.

Thanks, this is a documentation bug.  I think input/test/custos-style.ly
has been superseded by input/regression/custos.ly, so I just removed the
link from the documentation (in cvs).

>     Laura> and input/regression/custos.ly, which is there, but doesn't
>     Laura> actually produce custodes with 1.7.29.
>
> Not a problem with 1.8.

This was once again the font metrics lookup problem mentioned above.

Greetings,
Juergen