Re: PHP environment variables: out (among the others)

From: Heikki Johannes Junes
Subject: Re: PHP environment variables: out (among the others)
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 12:39:43 +0300 (EEST)

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> Heikki Johannes Junes writes:
>
> > should php envvar `out' be unset before compiling
>
> Yes.  That is, you as a user may set it, eg:
>
>     make out=new all
>
> to get output in out-new-www

This is not so trivial, it have happened to me many times that I could not
compile LilyPond because, there was already done

    export out=/dev/vc

by php, and compiling

    make all

resulted to an error, because its meaning was

    make out=/dev/vc all

which resulted outputting to out-/dev/vc.

The problem annoyed also me more than half a year until the reason was
found out.

In the source of lilypond it is written that the parent directory of
`$(out)' is `..'. In general case (e.g. `out-/dev/vc') that is not right.

> > What is the role of this variable? If it is
> > lily-specific, shouldn't its name be `lilyout'?
>
> I don't think it's a good idea to prefix every variable with 'lily'.
> To put it differently, if it's mandrake specific, shouldn't the
> variable be named mandrakeout?

No, in this case it would be phpout.

> Greetings,
> Jan.