Re: aiming at 2.2: dodecafonic staves

From: Heikki Johannes Junes
Subject: Re: aiming at 2.2: dodecafonic staves
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 01:02:04 +0300 (EEST)

> > > Modern music has a lot of new notation, and many of them are good
> > > and intuitive. For example, accelerando can be marked with
> > > increasing number of bars (here only two notes are shown).
> > >
> > >    /|
> > >  -<-|
> > >  | \|
> > >  |  |
> > >  | O
> > >
> > > Here the problem is that what is the mathematical duration of such
> > > construct. But anyway, the notation exist and is well known.
> > >

> > Can you cite a publisher and/or composer?
>
> Universal Edition, Peters, Ricordi, etc.  Even I have used it :-)
>
> > The more scores of temporary music I look at, the more I get the
> > impression, that certain publishers try to set notational standards
> > solely by their relevance in the market rather than by carefully
> > designing their notational extensions.
>
> Believe us, this notation has become standard.  It's advantage is
> that you can indicate an accellerando within a fixed tempo, say, the
> left hand always plays umm-ta-ta, umm-ta-ta, and the right hand does
>
>   tak       tak      tak     tak    tak   tak  tak taktak
>

>     Werner

Here is an example code which just produces a beatiful engraving example:

\score {
    \context Staff=i { \simultaneous {
        \new Voice \notes {
            \property Voice.Beam \override #'positions = #'(1 . 3)
            c'8[ e' c' e']
            \property Voice.Beam \override #'positions = #'(3 . 1)
            c'8[ e' c' e']
        }
        \new Voice \notes {
            \property Voice.Beam \override #'positions = #'(1 . 2)
            c'8[ e' c' e']
            \property Voice.Beam \override #'positions = #'(2 . 1)
            c'8[ e' c' e']
        }
        \new Voice \notes {
            \property Voice.Beam \override #'positions = #'(1 . 1)
            c'8[ e' c' e']
            \property Voice.Beam \override #'positions = #'(1 . 1)
            c'8[ e' c' e']
        }
    } }
    \paper {  }