RE: lilypond ./ChangeLog Documentation/user/refman....

From: Nigel Warner
Subject: RE: lilypond ./ChangeLog Documentation/user/refman....
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 12:25:20 -0000

  http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=tieing

>I agree that both are ok. According to the quick search (above) spelling
>`tying' has been in wider use.

        As it happens I have a copy of Samuel Johnson's Dictionary
        of the English Language (the 1843 edition) sitting on my desk.

        Unfortunately I am unable to fully reproduce the original
        typography since Saxon runes have fallen out of fashion but
        it appears that the derivation of TIE is from the Saxon words
        TIGN or TIGAN. Both TYE and TIE appear cross referenced to each
        other and it appears that Shakspeare used both spellings with
        the implication that TIE meant to hinder or obstruct although
        others have used it to mean a knot or to join together so as not
        easily to be parted. TYE to Shakspeare meant a knot or bond or
        obligation.

        Personaly I would prefer tying not only because it appears a more
        authentic usage but the combination of letters "iei" is frequently
        replaced with "y" under the rather bizarre rules of english spelling.

        Those of you who have had the misfortune to learn english as a second
        language will probably be suprised to learn that that there are any
        rules to english spelling. I seem to remember, long ago and in a galaxy
        far away, that adverbial endings and plurals are regularised according
the original root language from which the word was inherited and        that
particular spellings for phonemes are also based on the         entomological
derivation with "y" being given favour over "ie" for
        words of Saxon origin.

        Nigel.