Re: Is \paper{} needed?

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: Is \paper{} needed?
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:18:13 +0100

On Monday 23 February 2004 11.59, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> address@hidden writes:
> > The manual says that \paper{} is required and several examples have an
> > empty \paper{}, but this doesn't seem (from experience) to be true in
> > 2.1.25 any more. Is this the manual being out of date, or LilyPond being
> > over-lenient?
>
> The default is to supply a \paper{} declaration if no output (paper,
> midi) is specified. Perhaps this default should be changed?
>
> Any objections?

AFAIK, the current default has been there a loong time (it was there 2 year
ago when I first met lily).

For me, it is a good default.. it has the benefit is that it saves 8
characters when I write short tests.

So unless somebody can see a point in having a \score with neither paper nor
midi output, I would (weakly) object to changning the default...

Erik