reading material?

From: Edward Sanford Sutton, III
Subject: reading material?
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:39:55 -0700

        My main problem with attempting linux programming has been not knowing
where
to start. I find when I've tried to jump in on code in one project or
another, I get headaches from errors about not being able to write to a
'variable' I defined because they got me to create what was really an object,
which I only messed with a bit in c++ and not c like the current project was
in. I've got a rather handy reference book for c/c++, but that was written to
include borland's turbo c++ and requires a more powerful one for some
projects in the book (it even ends with a touch at windows gui programming).
        I was wondering if anyone could suggest references they use for the gnu
c++
and python (that'll be a new one for me) that can help get me up to speed for
linux programming (and hopefully understanding the lines of LilyPond code
more than just vaguely). If something like info docs are preferred, where
should I start with those?
        I know there are coding guidelines mentioned on the site, but I don't
know of
any sort of getting started type of docs.  =(
Thanks for any feedback,
Ed Sutton