Titling

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Titling
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 19:34:40 +0200

Hi,

I don't know the correct geometry terminology, but piece is always placed
below composer and opus, like

                composer
                opus
piece
===================
===notes===========

I would find it more natural (and space saving!) to write piece and opus at
the same y position, like

                composer
piece           opus
===================
===notes===========

I don't own many hand-engraved scores, but I have the feeling that most scores
I've seen are typeset this way.

I could find one example among my own notes, of a well-engraved score which
had both piece and opus. (Henle Urtext / Armin Raab: Beethoven, Werke fur
Mandoline und Klavier).

Apart from one obscure exception, piece and opus were always placed at exactly
the same y position, which was as close to the staff as possible without
colliding with the notes. I.e. like this:

                composer
piece  o        opus
  o    | o
==|====|=|==o====o==
==|======|==|====|==
(piece is as low as possible without touching the note, opus is at the same
height as piece).

If there is no opus, then in my opinion it should be typeset as

piece           composer

though I have nothing that backs up this claim.

If I got it right, 2.3 is having its titling code rewritten; in that case I
hope these observations will be of use in that process.

Thanks,
Erik