Re: LilyPond 2.3.0 released

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.3.0 released
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:11:14 +0200

Werner LEMBERG writes:

> Uh, oh, lmodern is a different project!  You should definitely use
> cm-super

The Debian maintainer disagrees, he claims lmodern is (usually
considered to be ) better:

    $ apt-cache show lmodern
    Package: lmodern
    Section: tex
    Installed-Size: 9340
    Maintainer: Florent Rougon <address@hidden>
    Architecture: all
    Version: 0.86-9
    Replaces: lm, lmodern-x11
    Depends: tetex-bin (>= 2), tetex-base (>= 2), defoma (>= 0.5.0), xutils (>=
4.1.0-12)
    Conflicts: lm, lmodern-x11
    Filename: pool/main/l/lmodern/lmodern_0.86-9_all.deb
    Size: 4795580
    MD5sum: 2db2e8f638c64f0d8a9179239b7e2be0
     The Latin Modern fonts, also known as "lm fonts", are a set of
     scalable fonts in PostScript Type 1 format. They are based on the
     PostScript Type 1 version of the Computer Modern fonts and contain
     many additional characters (mostly accented ones).
     .
     The Latin Modern fonts were generated using MetaType1, a program based
     on MetaPost for generating PostScript Type 1 fonts
     (ftp://bop.eps.gda.pl/pub/metatype1/). Their size is reasonable and
     they are usually considered to be of good quality (compared to
     cm-super, for instance).
     .
     The fonts are setup for use with the TeX typesetting system. They are
     also registered with defoma, which makes them available to other
     applications such as Ghostscript and Fontconfig. Finally, they are
     made available to the X Window System directly, which makes it
     possible to use them in any X application (however, XFree86's native
     rendering of PostScript Type 1 fonts is not fantastic at the moment,
     so the result in this last case is not so pleasant as with font
     rendering engines that perform anti-aliasing).

However, Han-Wen asserts that CM-like font generation using (modified)
metapost is 1. next to impossible, 2. higly improbable and
3. certainly not available to the general public, and that 4. Florent
Rougon's claim that the lmodern package has done exactly that, must be
bullshit.

After spending a hacking night invain trying to replace
ec-fonts-mftraced, I don't feel like looking at this real soon again.
Unless, of course, I have a very good reason to.  Our
ec-fonts-mftraced package works fine, and we also have full control
over it.

> If debian really substitutes cm-super with lmodern you should complain
> loudly.

Could you spell out this complaint for me, or better yet, maybe
complain directly yourself?

Jan.