Chord Diagrams/Fonts in Scheme

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Chord Diagrams/Fonts in Scheme
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:09:59 -0600

I've been able to rework the chord diagram markup thanks to Jan's help
on fonts.  See the attached file for code details.

The only problem remaining is that I don't know how to change the size
of the font in Scheme.  I've searched through the documentation, lily/*
and scm/*, and haven't been able to figure out how to make the changes.

Two questions that I think might help me (and help in providing
documentation for other novices).

1.  Is there a description of what constitutes a font metric in Scheme?
If so, where do I find it?  If not, could you give me some kind of basic
explanation?

2.  I would like to investigate the possibility of adding 10 glyphs to
the feta font: a circle used to indicate an open string, a symmetric x
used to indicate a silent string, and the numbers one through four
surrounded by circles in ordinary (outline and number black, rest white)
and reverse (outline and number white, rest black).  Is this a
reasonable thing to do?  If so, how does one go about adding glyphs to a
font?

Thanks for your ongoing help.

Carl