Latin Modern and cm-super in Debian [was: LilyPond 2.3.0 released]

From: Florent Rougon
Subject: Latin Modern and cm-super in Debian [was: LilyPond 2.3.0 released]
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:27:21 +0200

Hi,

I'm the Debian maintainer of the lmodern package, which contains the
Latin Modern fonts. I found this thread via a little bit of googling.

I am *not* subscribed to this list. Please Cc me if you expect any reply
from me.

I don't have much to add to what Werner already explained. Only that:

  1. lmodern is in no way trying to hijack cm-super in Debian, as one of
     the preceding mails seems to imply.

     It's pretty simple: if you don't \usepackage{lmodern} (in a LaTeX
     derivative), you don't get Latin Modern fonts. Similarly, if in raw
     TeX you don't ask for e.g. cork-lmr10, you don't get a Latin Modern
     font either. This is not at all Debian-specific, by the way.

     Actually, I would gladly welcome someone who uploads a (good)
     cm-super package in Debian unstable. The fact is, I discovered the
     Latin Modern fonts precisely one day when I was disappointed to see
     that after so much time, Claire M. Connelly's cm-super package was
     still not in Debian unstable, and was considering doing what would
     be needed to have this package in sarge.

     So, I discovered the Latin Modern fonts that day and since they
     suited my needs better than cm-super, I packaged the former.

     I repeat: cm-super in Debian is only waiting for a maintainer
     (whose network connection has enough bandwidth; to be fully
     accurate, other people than me and who are actually entitled to say
     whether a package can or cannot go into Debian, such as ftp-master,
     could have an objection, but I am not aware of any statement from
     them on this issue and cannot read their mind either).

  2. I uploaded a package of the latest upstream release of the Latin
     Modern fonts here today:

       deb http://people.via.ecp.fr/~flo/debian sid/binary-all/
       deb-src http://people.via.ecp.fr/~flo/debian sid/source/

     with a precision in the description, saying that cm-super contains
     things (such as font families) that are not part of the Latin
     Modern fonts. This package is waiting for an upload from my
     sponsor.

And next time, before anyone else feels like saying I write bullshit in
my packages' descriptions, he might want to ask me where I took that
bullshit from. I mean, I don't know everything. Often, I'm pretty sure
that what I write is correct. Sometimes, I don't really know for myself
but trust someone more competent on the specific subject to say the
right thing. But I hardly ever make up things at random and write them
down in public places. *sigh*

Thanks for your attention. And don't forget to Cc me if you expect
answers.

--
Florent