Re: Proposed patch: Unroll installation loops

From: Matthias Neeracher
Subject: Re: Proposed patch: Unroll installation loops
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 01:20:46 -0700

On Aug 31, 2004, at 11:42 PM, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

Matthias Neeracher writes:

lilypond uses the $(foreach) facility of gnumake in several places in
its installation. While I'm sure this is a little bit more efficient,
it creates problems on MacOS, where due to the fink build setup, paths
are often about 30 characters longer: Since foreach creates a single
shell line for the whole installation command, the resulting line
sometimes exceeded the maximum permissible argument size.

What shell are you using?

bash, although at the time I did this patch, it might have been zsh

 Have you considered sending a bug report for the shell?

Your message actually prompted me to retry without the patch, and right now I can't reproduce the failure. However, I'm sure that it would return the second I omitted the patch :-)

If I may ask conversely, what is there to be gained from using $(foreach) ? It seems that the output produced by for is a little bit more compact and readable, and the results are identical.

Matthias