manual style

From: Graham Percival
Subject: manual style
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 17:21:54 -0700

- I've arbitrarily picked the number 3 for spaces when indenting. See the Introduction and Example templates chapters to see it in action. - Also with indenting, I'm doing it with brackets being on the same level. Umm... let's do an example instead of my trying to explain it. :)

{
        blah
}

{
        blah {
                foo
        }
}

Does anybody object violently to these choices?

- Current English academic[1] writing style is to use the feminine pronoun as a gender-neutral pronoun. "A composer might want to do foo, so she should write bar in her LilyPond score". Yes, in the past[2] English used the male pronoun for non-gender specific texts (ie replace "she" with "he" and "her" with "his" in the above example). I've changed such occurrences in the manual to reflect this[3].

If you're talking about a specific person (Chopin, Han-Wen, etc) then you still use the appropriate pronoun.

[1]  I mean university-level.
[2] I think it started to change about thirty years ago, and hasn't become widespread until this decade. [3] I personally think it's a ridiculous fad, but we _do_ want to be stylish, don't we? :)

- texinfo replaces ". [A-Z]" with ". [A-Z" in HTML files and pdf. I assume it does a similar thing when producing info files, too. Is there a way to change this? I've converted the first few sections of the manual to using two spaces after a period, and it _is_ proper English to have two spaces, so it's a bit annoying to have texinfo replace the two spaces with only one.