Re: windows troubleshooting page ?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: windows troubleshooting page ?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 13:08:08 +0200

Actually, I have experienced these problems myself a couple of
times and it has always helped just to rerun setup.exe.
Still, I usually try to point out what package to check for
when people ask on the list. I've never got any feedback on
if it ever was necessary to explicitly select the package or
if it worked just by rerunning setup.exe, so I can't really
say how helpful it would be.

So, as a first step, we should at least tell people to rerun setup.exe
if they experience problems of this kind.

   /Mats

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
Hi guys,

we often have reports of the form of

        I'm trying to install Lily Pond on a Windows XP (Pro) machine, and get
        the following message when I first try to run it: This application has
        failded to start because cygkpathsea-3.dll was not found.

wouldn't it be a good idea to list all of the symptoms of missing
packages on a separate troubleshooting page?  Something like

 * cygkpathsea-3 not found -> install tetex

* libguile.so not found -> install guile

etc.?

Any volunteers?

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing