Re: solid background for text signs

From: Matevz Jekovec
Subject: Re: solid background for text signs
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:07:30 +0200

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: solid background for text signs Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:46:54 +0200 User-agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 0.7.3 (X11/20040912) Thinking further more, any bar line should never cross a text sign (bar lines aren't so important anyway, because you have the measure timing given) by default. But note heads, stems etc. should stay as they are now and text solid background should be optional or even not needed in many cases (you can ident a sign a bit to avoid collision with a stem for example).

In the previous example (Chopin's Etude), this could be seen where the bar line hides behind /molto legato/ sign, but a triplet number is in front of the sign, but it isn't annoying.

So my suggestion is that bar line should always hide behind text signs and other elements are always in front of the sign (or optionally behind).

- Matevz

Matevz Jekovec wrote:

I suggest the following new feature.

As seen in many sources (currently looking at Henle urtext Chopin's Etudes), expression text signs (cresc., ritardando, sotto voce...) have solid white background, so the bar lines don't mix up with them. Usually, we can avoid hitting a slur, a stem or a dynamic marking, but hardly a bar line. IMO, this shouldn't be a default setting for all the text signs now (sometimes, a short pin of a note beam won't do any harm to a large /fortissimo/ sign), but should allow being optional.

I attached a scanned part of the Chopin's Etude op.25 no.2. Notice the /molto legato/ sign.

- Matevz

--- End Message ---