`Academy of E ngraved Music´

From: Heikki Johannes Junes
Subject: `Academy of E ngraved Music´
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 22:25:12 +0200 (EET)

I would like to see some notations in the manual `expanded´. Especially,
it would be very useful to include in Section `5.7.8 Articulations´ with all
accents, pralls, mordents, etc. explanations how these marks have been used in
the past. For example, give briefly an etymologic overview on how J.S. Bach used
`turn´, `mordent´, `prall´.

Putting such information about the etymology (or development) of engraved music
would transform the manual to an invaluable resource of Engraved Music. Thus, it
could serve at the same time as the LilyPond manual and as a compulsory reading
in the `Academy of Engraved Music´. Also, the bibliography references should be
included sooner or later.

Here are the sections which could be `expanded´ (my list):

5.7.8 Articulations
 - etymologic overview: which systems are available
5.7.9 Running trills
 - starting on the note or above? speed?
5.7.12 Glissando
 - what does it mean in instruments with 12-tone, 24-tone, or continuous tuning
5.8.7 Measure repeats
 - how to separate the marks which repeat the bar once, two or three times, etc.
5.10.4 Arpeggio
 - speed, to `pre-play´ or to `start-at and post-play´?
5.12.1 Harmonic notes
 - when and how these are used?

These instructions would then also serve as a specification on what we wanted to
implement and why.

--
Greetings,
Heikki Junes