MIDI events

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: MIDI events
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 10:35:51 -0500

I recently switched from using OSS to using ALSA, and since then I
notice that my .midi files from lilypond frequently have dropouts.
The ones from abc2midi do not.

The only obvious difference between the two files seems to be that the
lilypond note off events have a volume of 64 associated with them, and
the ones from abc2midi have a volume of 0, which seems more intuitive.

I haven't checked this out with a MIDI editor, but can someone who
knows more about MIDI than I do explain what the point of a non-zero
volume would be?  And if there isn't one, and if that's really what's
producing my dropouts, can the volume be set to 0?

If you want to play with my MIDI files, the one from the current
(2.4.2) lilypond is:

<http://serpent.laymusic.org/~lconrad/music/lupachino/battaglia/score-snapshot.midi>

And the one from abc2midi is:

 <http://serpent.laymusic.org/~lconrad/music/lupachino/battaglia/score.mid>

The mftext (a program that comes with abc2midi, which is how I found
the difference) output for the two files is:

<http://serpent.laymusic.org/~lconrad/music/lupachino/battaglia/score-snapshot.txt>
 <http://serpent.laymusic.org/~lconrad/music/lupachino/battaglia/score.txt>

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139