RE: FYI: encoding issues

From: Mark Van den Borre
Subject: RE: FYI: encoding issues
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:24:50 +0100

Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:

[...]
> As you might know, the support for languages that use non-ASCII glyphs
> (both european characters with accents and non-european characters) is
> flaky: choices for glyphs are dependent on the -rather limited- TeX EC
> font of the.  The problem of font encoding also bites us in the GNOME
> backend, which some trickery to make Pango display the glyphs on the
> GNOME canvas.
[...]
> Werner Lemberg and I have determined a course of action for LilyPond font handling.
[...]
>  * good support for non-western lyrics,
>
>  * usable PostScript output
>
>  * better support for TeX's text formatting features.
>
>  * A cleaner system for reading and processing fonts.

Please don't answer the following questions if you feel they're inappropriate. I'm just being curious...

Since a few months ago, I was under the impression that the Lilypond TeX backend would be gradually moved to maintenance mode, in favor of the PostScript backend. Is that correct?

If not, what is the motivation for continuing to invest time into both TeX and PostScript backends?

Thanks for your great work on Lilypond!

Mark
mutopia contributor