Re: otf and font-metrics?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: otf and font-metrics?
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:38:17 +0100 (CET)

> > To get rid of TFM files (which contain exactly the data you need)
> > I suggest to add another SFNT table to the bigcheese OpenType font
> > which stores the missing depth and height values for the glyphs.
>
> That's essentially what we have done. I was just wondering whether
> there is a better way to do that.

AFAIK, no.  It might be possible to (ab)use the `vmtx' table to store
the TeX height of the glyph, and to (ab)use a `VORG' table[1] to store
the depth, but since in the future we probably need more data anyway
-- zonal kerning, for example -- I think it's easiest to put
everything in an SFNT table specific to lilypond.

    Werner

[1] `VORG' exists only for CFF fonts.  See the OpenType specs for more
    details.