Point-and-click data and backend futures

From: Ed Baskerville
Subject: Point-and-click data and backend futures
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:04:39 -0800

Hi all,

As some of you might have seen on the lilypond-user list, I'm working on a Mac OS X integrated text editor/previewer for LilyPond. Several users have asked for point-and-click support, and I'd like it too.

So, a couple clusters of questions on this topic:

(1) As I understand it, the data mapping between layout coordinates and line/column numbers in the source code is already embedded in the DVI output. I know nothing about DVI--can anyone point me to a reference for getting at this data? Is this the best way to get the data? And since I'm actually displaying PDF in the app, not DVI, will these coordinates match the coordinates in the PDF output exactly?

(2) I've seen things here and there in the archives about the various backends--PS, TeX, GNOME, etc.--and wanted to know how the future of these backends might affect point-and-click in my previewer, or, to be more open-ended, how it might affect the design of the previewer in any way. Will the DVI point-and-click data continue to be available? Should I be designing my previewer to display something other than PDF? Etc.

Lastly: any objections around here to me calling the app LilyPad?

Thanks much,
Ed