Re: cindex, findex, vindex, fooindex

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: cindex, findex, vindex, fooindex
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 17:23:42 +0200

By the way, why is the index entitled "Unified Index"?
I have never seen this formulation used anywhere else
and from the email list, I have got the impression that
many people have never realized that the manual has an
index. I propose to rename it simply to "Index".

   /Mats

Graham Percival wrote:

On 12-May-05, at 2:50 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

Graham Percival wrote:
> Should I stop using @cindex for everything?  If so, what do I use
> instead?

have a look at the texinfo manual. @cindex is for concepts (cp), fn for functions (@findex), etc.

Ok... but in lilypond.tely we merge all the indices together. Should I split it up
somewhat?

IMHO the maximum amount of splitting should be this:
findex: commands (ie \foo stuff)
tindex (or vindex): properties, contexts (we might want to index #'padding or Score)
cindex: everything else

If we're going to keep everything as the unified index, I might as well continue
using @cindex.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems