Re: feature request: \mark avoiding notes

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: feature request: \mark avoiding notes
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 14:57:21 +0200

Graham Percival wrote:
Personal feature request here, not anything from the manual.

Would it be possible to make \mark avoid notes?  I'm converting
some c^\markup to c^\mark \markup  , and I have to start guessing
manual #'padding numbers again.  Could you just take the collision
avoidance code for \markup and apply it to \mark ?

You mean the collision avoidance for text script, right (remember
the email discussion the other week)?
Anyway, I'm afraid it's not that simple, since text scripts are
typeset above a certain note and the collision avoidance will only
avoid collisions with that specific note, not the surrounding notes.
Example:
\score{\relative c'''{c c,^"Long text script" c'}
\layout{raggedright = ##t}
}
Since \mark typesets texts between notes, it would have to take
both the note before and the note after into account.

On the other hand, it seems that the horizontal spacing is affected
in some way by rehearsal marks, for example:
\score{\relative c'''{c c \mark "ABCD" c c |}
\layout{raggedright = ##t}
}
However, it seems that it only takes the right half of the mark
into account, not the left half. Also, this only happens for
marks in the middle of a measure, not at bar lines:
\score{\relative c'''{c2 c \mark "ABCD" | c c |}
\layout{raggedright = ##t}
}

Bug or feature?

   /Mats

\layout{ raggedright=##t}
\relative c'''{
c4 d e d
\once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #right
\once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'break-visibility = #begin-of-line-invisible
\mark \markup{ \bold { D.S. al Fine }}
}

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing