Re: dynamicAbsoluteVolumeFunction documented

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: dynamicAbsoluteVolumeFunction documented
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 13:05:49 +0200

Stephen wrote:
dynamicAbsoluteVolumeFunction still has [DOCUMENT-ME] as its documentation.

I cannot find any use for instrumentEqualizer or dynamicAbsoluteVolumeFunction other than to set the instrument-equalizer-alist and absolute-volume-alist respectively which it does automatically anyway and I recommend removing them from perfomer-init.ly and the documentation.

instrument-equalizer-alist and absolute-volume-alist can each be set or appended to directly.

midi-volume-equalizer.ly in input/no-notation demonstrates how to append an instrument to instrument-equalizer-alist.

I am attaching a file called set-midi-absolute-volume.ly which demonstrates how to set absolute-volume-alist to new values which I suggest placing in the same directory.

I think you're getting it backwards. The scheme variables don't work together well with LilyPond property scoping, and my recommendation is actually the reverse: to make the alists private. midi.scm doesn't say

  ;; this is broken: we should not ever export variables from Scheme.

for nothing.

Perhaps it is not necessary to define default-dynamic-absolute-volume and default-instrument-equalizer public in midi.scm. Do you have to define the procedures public in order to define the alists public? Or are they public only to make the procedures themselves accessible to the user?

Do the examples in input/no-notation show up anywhere in the documentation?

No. Primarily because there is no output. Perhaps we should study on how to get MIDI linked in from the HTML pages.