RE: [SPAM] Re: Stemming for hymnal

From: steveweb414
Subject: RE: [SPAM] Re: Stemming for hymnal
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 17:27:39 -0700

Erik, Han-Wen, All,

I have been experimenting with the part combiner.  I know very little
about scheme, being mainly a C/C++/assembler guy.  Therefore, it is
with due humility that I suggest changes, because I really have no idea
what I'm doing.

Erik's change did not achieve the desired effect.  The part combiner, by
itself, does much of what I want.  However, notes in unison in both
parts and notes a second apart should be engraved in parts rather than
as a single note or chord.

I changed part-combiner.scm as follows:

 <                             (> 0 (ly:pitch-steps (ly:pitch-diff (car
pitches1)
----
 >                             (>= 1 (ly:pitch-steps (ly:pitch-diff (car
pitches1)

That achieves the desired result.  Since  I am using a common hymnal
formatting convention, you may wish to consider making the part
combiner adjustable this way without resorting to a change to the
source.

Special thanks to Erik for pointing me in the right direction.

Kindest regards,

Steve Dunlop
Nerstrand, MN