Re: MacOS X standalone lilypond app revisited

From: Matthias Neeracher
Subject: Re: MacOS X standalone lilypond app revisited
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 09:37:52 -0700

On May 31, 2005, at 5:04 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

Unfortunately, it doesn't run on my machine (10.3). I don't have a Quartz.framework (I do have QuartzCore.framework)

Oops, I forgot to mention: SInce the program depends on PDFKit, it's 10.4 only (it might be possible to use older techniques on earlier systems, though).

are the sources for LilyPond.app available?

I plan to make them available (preferably under the BSD license, because I'd like the code to be available for commercial developers to borrow; apart from the python script, I did not use any GPL code to write this).

BTW, Are you familiar with Frameworks? Would it be possible to put all dependencies of our LilyPond.app (ie. pango, gs, etc.) in a separate Framework bundle?

Sure, but custom bundles rarely solve any problem worth solving.

BTW, nice picture.

Glad you liked it. I tried using the picture on the lilypond home page, but it didn't work well as an icon.

Did you know if there are copyright issues with using it as a logo?

Actually, I grabbed the picture off the internet and did not clear the use with the author yet. The picture is, as far as I can tell, shot by an amateur photographer:

http://www.stumptuous.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=vancouver&id=water_lily

He might be willing to allow us to use the picture. Alternatives should not be terribly hard to find, I just grabbed this picture with a google search for "Water Lily", and there are lots of other pictures that look quite similar.

I'd be happy to approach the photographer to see whether he'd be willing to allow use of the picture in exchange for a name credit if you'd like me to.

Matthias