Re: documentation for \displayLilyMusic?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: documentation for \displayLilyMusic?
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 10:37:25 +0200

Graham Percival wrote:

On 27-Jul-05, at 4:30 PM, Cameron Horsburgh wrote:

I'm not subscribed to lilypond-developer, so you might like to forward this as appropriate.

You can send stuff to lilypond-devel as a non-member; we CC emails to
individuals, so you can also take part in the discussion.

I would find the \displayLilyMusic useful as an external utility. Most of my serious typesetting involves transposing instruments, and I frequently need to have subtle differences between different instruments playing similar parts. For example, a trumpet and a horn may have essentially the same harmony line, but one instrument may have to change octave part way through, depending on how I have scored the piece. Or there may be some instrument specific instructions that need to be added on one part. This is very difficult to do without manually typing each part separately.

You can get around this problem by using \transpose, \transposition, and copying.
(not that \displayLilyMusic isn't useful; see below)

Also, read "8.2.8 Different editions from one source" in the manual.

   /Mats