Re: The optional \score? was: lilypond ./ChangeLog input/regression/acci

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: The optional \score? was: lilypond ./ChangeLog input/regression/accidenta...
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:03:24 +0200

To further motivate why I'm so fond of \score:
Compare when you look at a new C/C++ program. Where do
you start looking? I and most other people certainly start
looking for main to get a starting point when finding out
what it does. When I see a new .ly file, I do the same,
looking for \score{...} to get a starting point.

Of course, a trained eye can figure out where the implicit
\score is anyway, but it's clearly harder.

Also, think of the problems brought up recently when you want
to connect a certain \header{...} (or \layout or \midi) to a
certain \score{...} in contrast to global settings that should
apply to all scores in the file.

   /Mats

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
Mats Bengtsson wrote:

I actually question if it was a good idea to make the \score{...}
optional. It may be great for you and me who mostly write short
example files illustrating some feature, since it saves a few
key strokes. However, as soon as you want to typeset some real
music, the saving in time is negligible whereas the risk of added
confusion both to new and experienced users is far from negligible.

You might claim that it doesn't matter for the Regression files, but
I claim that these are a good source of examples for most users and
I fear that it's more difficult for most people to follow even a
short example when you don't see immediately where the (implicit)
\score block is.

frankly, I dislike \score - and I wish I could figure out a way to remove the remaining uses completely.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology