general timing feature :

From: David Currie
Subject: general timing feature :
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:28:16 +1000

I am a (mostly jazz) musician and programmer. Beginner at
lilypond.
If necessary I am prepared to help develop.

I tried...

\time 4/4

\relative{
  c d8 e4 f g a b c
}

...and upon output found 4.5 notes in one bar (should not be
possible).
 (
   In this example the e should be a semi-quaver note tied
to a
   semi-quaver note because the quaver (e) occurs across the
middle
   2 beats of the bar.
   Also the (g) should be a semi-quaver tied to a
semi-quaver
   in the next bar (by sheer calculation).
   Etc for the b.
 )

My question : is there a command to auto adjust notes
according
 to the above (usual) timing rules.

 If not, I would like to put the case for implementing this
  perhaps as \autoAdjustTimings

  Advantages :
   1) saves keystrokes
   2) stops unrecognised mistakes eg as above
   3) if not right just retype + recompile

 Please advise also if I have transmitted this correctly
  as I try not to use outlook express.