Re: paying for Han-Wen's development work

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: paying for Han-Wen's development work
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:20:50 +0200

Graham Percival wrote:

On 18-Aug-05, at 4:29 PM, Mark Van den Borre wrote:

 1. apart from the "involved" people like you,  how do you convince
people to donate money?[...] Psychologically, it's much easier to part with money, if you get
something in return.

This is not about donating. It's about investing.

Absolutely.

One (seemingly unlikely) reason in favor of subscription donation are
webcomics.

If people will give money to support a once-a-day webcomic (which can be
quite interesting/funny/touching, but only for about 60 seconds per day), then we
should be able to get a non-trivial amount of money for lilypond.

The reason why I am skeptical of donations, is that I myself have never felt inclined to donate for open source software. On the other hand, if there is a tangible benefit in spending money (ie. business iso. charity), I easily buy what I want.

Take, for example, Linux Weekly News. I didn't hesitate for a moment when Linux Weekly News asked $ 60 / year for a subscription that would let me see LWN a week earlier. The amount asked for a subscription doesn't have to match its costs (it shouldn't anyway, otherwise LWN would not have time left to write stories).

Likewise, it would be great if we could find a way to levy a small fee for some LilyPond related service. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to come up with a suitable model. Maybe someone has an idea?

I think the service should:

1. Offer something that isn't available or difficult to obtain without the subscription. For example, download access to LilyPond binaries is a nice idea, but due to the GPL, this is difficult enforce, and it's at aodds the enormous growth of Lily usage, which I also rather like.

2. Should be immediately "consumable". For example, instant access to some special download is good, support for "Han-Wen having food during the next month" isn't, because the donator/customer doesn't know whether it will work for him.

Finally, I fear that such a service will need a lot of work setting up. In this respect, sponsored fetures are very nice for me. I can easily experiment with pricing, delivery conditions, work-estimates, etc. and if I make a mistake (I regularly do), I can set different conditions for the next sponsored feature.

Sponsored features also satisfy the two conditions above: due to my l33t sk1llz, I can implement features almost immediately, and evidently, getting a feature in LilyPond is something you can't get anywhere else.

I know that Bram Molenaar, of VIM fame, has a community website set up, where you can exchange donations for "feature votes". For every X dollar donated, you get to vote what Bram will work on next. How does that sound?