Re: docs

From: Hans de Rijck
Subject: Re: docs
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:45:37 +0200

Hi Graham,

> > \stemUp
> > \stemDown
>
> I'm not certain about these.  I commented out the section on setting
> stem
> directions, since that section isn't useful.  I suppose I could include
> that
> info in the section on polyphony.

Well, setting stem directions can be usefull, why not document it?

> I would rather include a section that listed all the contents of
> ly/property-init.ly , but I'm not certain how to include that in the
> docs (from
> a technical standpoint).

After looking at property-init.ly I think it's a good idea. From a user
point of view it makes little difference if these properties are defined as
'macros' (if I may call them so) or are part of the lilypond syntax ( for
me, /stemUp, /break, /clef or /major are the same kind of beasts).

> > 6.5.1 Articulations
> >
> > In the chart showing all scripts available, can there be some spacing
> > between the words, they are now almost impossible to decipher, for
> > example
> > the third line reads:
> >    rheelltoertoeopenstoppedturnreverseturn
>
> I'm accepting suggestions.  This example is created from
> input/test/script-chart.ly ;
> the names are done as lyrics.  How can you space out lyrics ?

Well, how about the same hack I use when lilypond is spacing notes too
close: add /breaks
to force a more 'airy' appearance (you can do that with \override
Score.SpacingSpanner #'shortest-duration-space = #3.0 but the breaks give
more control, like the old-time engravers had :-)
see attached snippet

> > 6.5.3 Dynamics
> >
> > Please add a line how to get dynamics aligned. It's now very implicit.
>
> Please tell me how to.  :)
>
> I think the best way to
> handle this is to improve lilypond's cresc handling, as Trevor
> suggested.

No, not necessarily. What Mats writes makes sense:

One method is to increase the staff-padding property, which specifies
the minimum distance from the stave. This means that that the distance
to the closest note will only matter if you have a note far below
the stave. Try for example
\override DynamicLineSpanner #'staff-padding = 2

    /Mats

If this could be added, the problem is solved as far as I'm concerned.

> > Can the picture be centered? In printed PDF it falls off the left of
> > the
> > page.
>
> Accepting suggestions as to how.  :(

Well, I was hoping to learn that from the manual ;-)

regards,

Hans.

Graham, could you post this to the list, it bounces me.