Re: Odd time-signatures

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Odd time-signatures
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:21:42 +0200

Please always tell what LilyPond version you use when asking questions.
Also, please use address@hidden for general usage questions like
this one and keep lilypond-devel for questions specific for the latest
development version (2.7.x for the moment).

I just tried the following example with LilyPond version 2.6 and 2.7
and it doesn't present any problems.

\version "2.6.0"
\relative c'{
  \time 10/4
  c2 d e f g |
}

If you don't want to print the time signature, take a look at the
email entitled "Re: unmetered music question" that I sent to the
lilypond-user mailing list earlier today (it's not in the archives
yet but will be in a few hours time).

 /Mats

Peter Quarrell wrote:
I just downloaded Lilypond in order to improve the printing of psalm chants in our church Sunday news sheet. We use a psalm-chant system created by one of our congregation. The normal chant covers 2 verses of the psalm, with 10 crotchet beats per half verse. The chant's 4 quarter-verses are therefore printed as 4 bars, each of 10 crotchet beats. Each bar is a semibreve, followed by 2 crotchets, followed by another semibreve.

We don't actually want a time-signature in the output (because, like the traditional Anglican chant, timing doesn't mean anything when you are chanting), but that doesn't matter. My problem is that I can't see how to get the output I want, with only 1 bar-line per 10-crotchet phrase. Lilypond seems to reject a time-signature of 10/4. Although it is an odd time-signature to want, it ought to be possible to implement it. Why does it not work? The best I have been able to get has been 6/4, and using PaintShop Pro to remove or shift the bar-lines has produced a messy result.

Best wishes

Peter Quarrell

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing