Re: bug: centering of single notes

From: Kristof Bastiaensen
Subject: Re: bug: centering of single notes
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 23:56:06 +0200

At Sat, 03 Sep 2005 23:10:09 +0200 (CEST),
Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > In most scores (especially classic hand-engraved score) notes are
> > centered in the measure when there is only a single note (or rest)
> > in every staff and voice.
>
> This greatly depends on the publisher.  I *very* dislike it.

It is done that way in most scores, except perhaps some modern
editions, but I wouldn't use those as an example of good engraving.  I
think it is more aestetic, easier to read (especially when there are
multiple wholebar notes in a row), and makes clear that the note takes
the whole duration of the bar.  As an example I have attached part of
a brahms piano piece.  I could give countless other examples.

Kristof Bastiaensen