Re: Supporting Quarter Tones ?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Supporting Quarter Tones ?
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 23:09:54 +0200

Johnny Farraj wrote:
I perform Arabic music, and I just found out about LilyPond.

Has anyone ever tried adding support for quarter tones, used in Arabic /
Turkish music notation ?

They are notated using half-flats and half-sharps.

For more info and lost of examples on quarter tones see
[http://www.maqamworld.com/maqamat.html].

Im also a UNIX/C++ programmer, and would love to do the work myself, but need a
little handholding given the complexity of the product.

any help appreciated.

Hello,

LilyPond already supports quarter tones; have a look at the manual.

However, you might be interested in this:

I'm discussing further microtonal extensions, with a double bass player from NY, who specifically needs support for Turkish music, where alterations are measured in 9ths of a whole tone. I believe they're called komas.

I have an idea how to do generic microtonal notation. I'm putting this up as a sponsored feature. Perhaps you're also willing to contribute in the cost?