Re: Lyrics alignment, stanza numbers, metadata

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Lyrics alignment, stanza numbers, metadata
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:02:28 +0100

Don Blaheta wrote:

Quoth Mats Bengtsson:
For some reason, LilyPond gets confused by your construct
\new Voice {
 \relative {
   \time 6/4
   \key f \major
   \context Voice = "refrain" { ...

If you replace \new Voice by \context Voice = refrain in your \score
block, then the alignment of both stanza numbers and syllables is
correct.

The original reason I started doing it that way was I had a couple of
songs whose verses came after their refrain, and I had no actual
understanding of how Voices work, or that they didn't nest, or anything
like that. :)  Your suggestion won't quite work for the refrain-verse
structure I note, but there are others that will.
I forgot to mention that the stanza and lyrics alignment is correct when
I try your original example with version 2.7, so you can consider it a bug
in 2.6.

3) The metadata permitted in \header seems ill-suited for a lot of the
stuff I'm typing in (old churchy stuff, mostly).  [...]
I usually don't bother so much about the names of the different fields.
Often, you can use a field like poet for something else. Note also that
you can easily specify several lines for each field using text markup,
for example
poet = \markup{\column \line {Aaaa Bbbb, v1,3} \line{Cccc Dddd, v2,4 }}

Ah, didn't realise that.  I'm kind of a metadata snob, and I hate mixing
content and presentation like that, but if that's the way to do it
that's what I'll do. :)

The purist solution, of course, is to redefine the functions that typeset the
titling. Then you can use any field names you wish. See the end of
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/Documentation/user/lilypond/Creating-titles.html#Creating-titles
for more information.

  /Mats