Re: Removing the stem engraver?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Removing the stem engraver?
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:58:55 +0100

Have you considered just making the stems invisible, as a workaround?
\override Stem #'transparent = ##t

   /Mats

Quoting Don Blaheta <address@hidden>:

When I run the following code, I get no syntax errors, but it doesn't
work; it gets as far as "Calculated line breaks..." and then lilypond
exits abnormally with exit code 246.  If I remove any one of the lines
marked with a "%---", it runs just fine.  So it appears to be some sort
of interaction between making new pseudo-"nested" Voice contexts,
stacking them, and removing the stems.

 \version "2.7.33"

 \score {
   \new Voice { <<
     \new Voice  %---
        { c'' }   %---
     { g }   %---
   >> }
   \layout {
     \context {
       \Voice
       \remove "Stem_engraver"    %---
     }
   }
 }

It may be related to the following curious behaviour: when you remove
the Stem_engraver, every note that interacts with a slur (including just
being underneath it) gives a "programming error: no stem for note
column; continuing, cross fingers".  For example, with the following
code:

 \version "2.7.33"
 \score {
   \new Voice \relative c' {
     d e( f) g
   }
   \layout {
     \context {
       \Voice
       \remove "Stem_engraver"
     }
   }
 }

In these cases, though, the program finishes and actually renders a .ps
file with serviceable if not optimal slurs.  All of this is in 2.7.33-1
on OS X.

--
-=-Don address@hidden<http://www.blahedo.org/>-=-
The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when