Re: Transposing in modes??

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Transposing in modes??
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 01:59:00 +0100

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
Completely different question: I wanted to convert all this into a proper music function. In the course, I found that the signature parsing is less-than-elegant. In particular, there are only a handful permitted signatures, which are hard-coded, such as "scm-scm-music". I gather that this is needed in order to use flex/bison, but the different combinations of up to, say, 5 parameters could at least be generated, no?

Yes, but we do it on demand .. :)

Since we also allow \markup as a separate argument type, generating all combinations quickly runs out of hand. In addition, it encourages people to use different ordering of arguments.

Which ones are you missing?

In other words, would you gurus of lily look kindly upon an effort to simplify the signature parsing?

I also found out -- the hard way -- that a definition like

        (def-music-function blabla (parser location key music)
                (ly:pitch? ly:music?) (...))

gets a signature "scm-music", which is wrong. Of course, I want to call this function like in this manner:

        \blabla fis \relative c' { c d e f g }

Is my idea faulty?

Yes. You want a signature of music-music. LilyPond will interpret fis as a short for fis4, a note (technically: an EventChord)