Re: Paper size

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Paper size
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 21:16:22 -0800

On 25-Feb-06, at 3:01 PM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

Graham Percival wrote:
In fact, why not simply have
\paper {
  paper-size = "a4"
}
I have nothing against scheme expressions, but I don't see why the paper size (and global staff size) need scheme. If we could define them like normal \paper or \layout variables, we could avoid some newbie confusion.

because setting paper-size implies setting line-width and a number of other variables. Check out the definition of set-paper-size for details.

Yes, it does a bunch of stuff "under the hood", but a user need not be concerned with it. I'm just wondering if we could do

// pseudocode
if ( (\paper-option)==(paper-size $1 $2) ) then
  #(set-default-paper-size $1 $2)

I freely admit my lack of experience in programming, but I can't imagine how some syntactic sugar like this would change anything substantive in the way that lily works internally.

If we could add two such rules -- paper-size and staff-size -- then we could avoid #(...) constructs entirely for simple scores. (mostly the default-paper-size... I wish that everybody used A4 paper, but it's hard to find in North America. And if you want to print at university, you're stuck with usletter. :(

I have absolutely no objection to requiring explicit scheme expressions for other stuff, but IMO these two items are pretty basic.