"too many open files" returns

From: Graham Percival
Subject: "too many open files" returns
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 16:43:43 -0800

I'm getting the "too many open files" problem again. Using make external_binary web now.

out-www/lilypond.texi:311: @include `point-and-click.texi': Too many open files. out-www/lilypond.texi:311: @include `cheatsheet.texi': Too many open files.
out-www/lilypond.texi:311: @include `fdl.texi': Too many open files.
makeinfo: could not open --css-file: /Users/gperciva/usr/src/lilypond/Documentation/texinfo.css ./out-www/lilypond.texi:312: Prev reference to nonexistent node `GNU Free Documentation License' (perhaps incorrect sectioning?). /Users/gperciva/usr/src/lilypond/Documentation/user/out-www// global.texi:8: Next reference to nonexistent node `Interfaces for programmers' (perhaps incorrect sectioning?). /Users/gperciva/usr/src/lilypond/Documentation/user/out-www// global.texi:2058: Cross reference to nonexistent node `MIDI instruments' (perhaps incorrect sectioning?).

This arose a few months ago; there was a patch to texinfo that fixed it. Currently I'm using the "ulimit -n 4096" workaround (where I increase the number of possible open files). This isn't a big deal; just a heads-up that something is wrong, and that if anybody else encounters this problem, they can get around it in this way.