Some newbie troubles, especially with text

From: David Feuer
Subject: Some newbie troubles, especially with text
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 05:17:32 -0500

Main problem: I can't seem to figure out how to make even simple text look decent. There seem to be 7000 different options for dealing with text, all of them confusing. In this case, I just want simple "Fine" and "D.S. al Fine", but I really can't figure out how to make it work right. The example given in the docs, using \mark, doesn't work, and that seems like a nasty hack anyways. I _think_ what I want is for the end of the D.S. al Fine to line up with the _right_ side of the last note in the piece, but I could only get it to line up with the _left_ side (using ^). Not being an expert engraver, I'm not actually sure /what/ I want, but whatever it is, I'm sure I don't know how to get it. Suggestion 1: teach Lilypond some of the standard text markings: Fine, D.S. al Fine, D.C. al Fine, D.S., D.C., and to Coda would be good to build in, particularly because they should affect MIDI playing. It'd also be good to make a category of sorts for tempo markings: rit., a tempo, etc. Please try to improve the documentation for alignment in general and text in particular, and try to make it more friendly. It's not a good sign that text shows up in the "advanced" section of the manual.

Thanks for your consideration,
David Feuer