Re: \version statement

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: \version statement
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 00:17:02 +0100

Erik Sandberg wrote:
On Monday 20 March 2006 18.13, Laura Conrad wrote:

abc2ly puts a version statement into its output files:

      \version "2.5.20"

By design this trails the lilypond version, and is changed only when
abc2ly has been thoroughly tested with the current version.

However, when you run a file with an obsolete version through 2.7.39,
you get the following error messages:

Parsing...
error: Incorrect lilypond version: 2.5.20 (2.7.38, 2.7.39)
error: Consider updating the input with the convert-ly script
warning: identifier name is a keyword: `book'
score.ly: 0: warning: no \version statement found,  add

\version "2.7.39"

for future compatibility

The first error is ok, although it might confuse someone about whether
they're running the correct version of abc2ly, but the one about "no
\version statement found" is both incorrect and confusing.

By the way: Is there any particular reason why lily no longer wants to compile files older than .38? Most 2.4 files do still work with .39, and I fail to

Blind fascism. I don't want to know about bugreports of people who complain that their margins are all messed up, because rightmargin is now right-margin.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com