Re: shortened Hairpin hack; how to get "width" of current ChordEvent?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: shortened Hairpin hack; how to get "width" of current ChordEvent?
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 06:52:02 -0400

Hi, Anthony:

        {g1}
        {s2\> s4\! s}

Yeah, that's the messiness I'm trying to avoid!  =)

My second method was

    g1*7/8\> s1*1/8\!

which is messy in different ways (though less messy overall, perhaps?). I prefer the former method for the fact that it doesn't mess with the "virtual durations" in any way, but I like the latter because it doesn't spawn an extra Voice just to deal with a visual/ formatting construct.

I guess I just think it should be easier/cleaner, somehow, to stop an event (e.g., a spanner) partway through another event. Don't get me wrong -- it's not that I think it's easy to come up with a syntax that covers all (or even nearly all) possibilities, never mind the code to parse it. Just brainstorming it as I type here, I suppose a syntax like

    g1\>2

for a whole note g with a half-note length decrescendo might be very nice. Then

    g1\> g\!

would act as it always has, and

    g1\>{4 2}

would give a hairpin starting one quarter note after the main note and having a duration of a half-note.

I have no idea how complicated all that would be (for the programming side of it), but I always go by the principle that it's usually better to sacrifice complexity on the code (programmer's) side in order to simplify things from the input (user's) perspective.

Maybe the new MusicStream approach will offer some assistance here?

Anyway, just thinking out loud, really...  =)

Best,
Kieren.